In 1945 Marie Olde Bolhaar and Lauchie MacPherson were married in the Netherlands. Marie sailed to Nova Scotia on the Queen Mary as a warbride and landed at Pier 21 in Halifax. They settled in Antigonish where they raised a family of seven, 2 sons and 5 daughters.
In the mid 60’s after working at several other jobs, Marie decided she wanted to own her own business. So she and Lauchie purchased the” Snow Queen Dairy Bar “South River location after leasing for several years from the original owners John MacKinnon and Dr. Carmen MacIntosh.
John MacPherson worked with his parents at the South River location starting at the age of 13 .
In 1973 Marie & Lauchie purchased the James Street property where the “Snow Queen Restaurant” is today. John continued to work with his parents and in 1986 John & Cynthia MacPherson purchased the property and have continued to expand both the James Street Plaza and Snow Queen Restaurant. A renovation was completed on the Snow Queen in December 2010 and the new menu was introduced.